Stefan Berkemeier advises and represents national and international clients in all litigious intellectual property matters. The focus of his work is on the enforcement of and defence against technical property rights (patent rights, utility model rights). This particularly includes patent infringement proceedings with parallel validity proceedings.
Mr Berkemeier has worked on a variety of patent infringement cases in different technical fields (e.g. mechanical engineering, computer technology, telecommunication, pharmaceutical manufacturing, automotive). This includes a number of cross-border infringement proceedings, concerning standard essential patents (“SEPs”) and the so-called "FRAND objection", the intersection between patent and antitrust law.
Stefan Berkemeier studied law at the University of Muenster. As a part of his studies, he graduated in the University of Muenster’s additional training on Information-, Telecommunication- and Media Law. After his studies he interned for the District Court Muenster as well as for one of the leading international corporate law firms. In early 2018 he joined Wildanger Kehrwald Graf von Schwerin & Partners as an Attorney-at-Law.
- Advising and representing a leading global manufacturer of household appliances in patent infringement proceedings and preliminary injunction proceedings, as well as in related opposition proceedings
- Strategic advice and legal representation of owners of standard-essential patents in several infringement proceedings in the telecommunications and automotive industries and in related opposition and nullity proceedings
- Defence of a global market leader in the field of pharmaceutical manufacturing in patent infringement proceedings and consultation in related opposition appeal proceedings
- Strategic advice and out-of-court representation of an internationally operating company in the field of electrical engineering in various patent infringement cases
- Defence of a medium-sized technology leader in the field of mechanical engineering in infringement proceedings and consultation in related nullity proceedings
Stefan Berkemeier is a member of the German Association for Intellectual Property and Copyright (GRUR), as well as the German Bar Association (DAV) and the Duesseldorf Bar Association.